NOTE: This publish on bullet journals for writers is a considerably up to date model of my 2021 publish on how I take advantage of varied varieties of journaling to handle almost every little thing in my enterprise and my life. On this 2021 replace, the main target is way more centered on bullet journals specifically. Right here you will discover my up to date record of bullet journal spreads and much more bullet journal web page concepts for writers.
Just a few years in the past, I used to be going by way of an particularly tough time. I made a decision to show to numerous varieties of journaling to assist me cope emotionally, keep organized, keep targeted, and keep as productive as attainable.
On this publish I am going to go over a few of my present bullet journal spreads for writers and counsel another bullet journal pages you may discover useful. I am going to additionally share a downloadable .pdf with bullet journal concepts for freelance writers and bloggers towards the top of this publish.
My Journals (All 5 of Them)
Sure. You learn that proper. I at present use 5 various kinds of journals. They embrace:
- a major bullet journal;
- an internet publishing / running a blog bullet journal;
- a publishing bullet journal;
- a normal journal;
- a sketch journal.
Once I initially began my journey into journaling, I wasn’t but utilizing a publishing bullet journal, however I was utilizing a dream journal. I’ve since minimize out the latter and easily write down desires I wish to keep in mind (corresponding to for story inspiration) in my bullet journal or story concepts record in my publishing journal.
Now I wish to deal with these three bullet journals. Let us take a look at what a bullet journal (or BuJo) is, and why bullet journals may be nice instruments for writers of any form.
Bullet Journals: Life’s Little Instruction Manuals
I’ve to provide Princess Jones credit score for getting me into bullet journaling. I’d seen them on Pinterest and such for fairly a while, and I used to be intrigued. As a lot as I like Todoist (and can proceed to make use of it), I’ve all the time beloved going old fashioned with handwritten planning. But one thing appeared a little bit disorganized to me between my varied sized index playing cards, notebooks, and white boards.
So again in 2021, I made a decision to provide bullet journaling a attempt. I rapidly fell in love. Bullet journaling is like lastly having a little bit instruction handbook somebody forgot to provide me years in the past.
What are Bullet Journals?
A bullet journal is mainly your mind dedicated to paper.
Actually. It’s you.
- Your ideas
- Your to-do lists
- Your creativity
No two bullet journals are going to look the identical.
You begin with an index. Your index enables you to observe what web page every little thing is on for straightforward reference later.
Then quantity your pages. Write up no matter you need, from a day by day diary entry to a month-to-month plan to a juvenile doodle of a consumer who’s being a royal PITA. Then add that web page to your index so yow will discover it later. And then you definately transfer on.
Why I Have 3 Bullet Journals
I went into bullet journaling planning to make use of only one for private and enterprise monitoring. However I noticed after I was 80 pages in and hadn’t gotten to any of my weblog planning and trackers but, I used to be in hassle. As a result of I’ve so many websites, I made a decision to bump them to a separate BuJo.
In a while, I bumped into an identical downside with publishing initiatives. I wanted longer-term planning for varied collection and manuscripts, and I used to be shifting by way of my essential bullet journals too rapidly, so I saved having to confer with previous ones, and rapidly misplaced observe of the place issues have been. So now I even have a publishing BuJo (all three are completely different colours). That is the place I start skeleton outlines, preserve long-running lists of story concepts, have manuscript trackers, and different associated planners and trackers.
My first bullet journal began out as a enjoyable one. It was colourful. I doodled on my pages (even had a two-page unfold for day by day doodles to encourage myself to do this extra). Over time, I discovered that making an attempt to create a “fairly” BuJo both took an excessive amount of time or left me with loads of rushed work I did not get pleasure from anyway.
Now I take a a lot easier, extra sensible method and I depart my art work for different shops just like the canvas or my sketch e book. The vast majority of my bullet journaling entails fundamental black ink layouts, and coloring in bins for trackers.
What My Primary Bullet Journal Consists of
To offer you an thought of how I cut up issues between my three bullet journals, listed here are a number of the issues my essential bullet journal tracks:
- common occasions and schedules;
- freelance writing deadlines;
- my weblog schedules on a month-to-month foundation;
- month-to-month weblog and social media stats monitoring;
- yearly and quarterly opinions and objectives;
- studying objectives (language studying, analysis matters, and so on.);
- my TBR record and studying challenges;
- private & enterprise 90-day and 30-day challenges;
- health-related trackers (weight, miles walked, month-to-month health challenges, wellness trackers, and so on.);
- journey planning;
- a to-watch record;
- my bucket record;
- reference lists (corresponding to 15-minute private and enterprise duties I can do any time);
- routine month-to-month trackers.
What My Running a blog Bullet Journal Consists of
Whereas I do preserve a year-long weblog tracker in my commonplace bullet journal (which I am going to present you additional alongside on this publish), I do most long-term weblog planning and note-taking in my running a blog bullet journal. For instance, that BuJo contains issues like:
- a common running a blog mind dump (publish concepts and not using a house, publish concepts to pitch elsewhere, new weblog concepts, and so on.);
- new weblog design / improvement / branding plans;
- content material audit notes;
- year-long weblog and social media stats trackers;
- long-term weblog earnings trackers;
- yearly weblog objectives;
- directions for routine duties I am going to have to repeat (like my preliminary weblog setup guidelines);
- short-form aggressive analyses for key websites;
- monetization plans for key websites;
- publish thought lists (although I principally handle these in Todoist);
- restricted web optimization monitoring for key websites and first key phrase targets;
- grasp process lists for every website (additionally one thing I handle extra in Todoist today);
- affiliate promotion methods and trackers.
What My Publishing Bullet Journal Consists of
Lastly, there’s my publishing bullet journal. That is the place I observe e book and e-book manuscripts, quick fiction, and poetry. This BuJo options spreads corresponding to:
- my 5-year publishing plan;
- yearly and quarterly objectives;
- my grasp mission record maintaining observe of the place I’m within the writing / revision / enhancing / pitching course of;
- one other mind dump the place I jot down any concepts that may encourage future initiatives;
- a narrative thought record;
- a listing of poetry kinds I wish to work on or experiment with;
- my pen names and which initiatives are assigned to every;
- a to-read record (publishing guides, enhancing guides, advertising and marketing guides, and so on.);
- poetry and fiction pitch lists and pitch trackers;
- a grasp phrase depend tracker web page with all key initiatives;
- common guides and reminders (the snowflake methodology, record of “weak phrases,” novel prep guidelines, and so on.)
- character and setting worksheets I can copy and re-use for every mission;
- a NaNoWriMo tracker information I can use any yr I try it;
- project-specific spreads corresponding to early snowflake methodology steps, nonfiction e book outlines, the e book’s revision guidelines, and so on.);
- 6-word tales (one thing I noticed years again on Twitter; it is a technique to deal with tales even when you may’t handle extra, plus it might probably encourage longer works later).
One of many issues I like greatest about breaking off these publishing and running a blog bullet journals is they do not must be swapped out usually. So these turn out to be longer-term references whereas my day-to-day bullet journaling can preserve shifting from one e book to the following.
You are able to do something you need together with your bullet journal(s). You may use a number of for day by day use vs longer-term planning like I do. Otherwise you may favor a single BuJo. Do no matter works greatest for you.
Sound intriguing, however you’re undecided the place to start out?
Setting Up Your Writing Bullet Journal
If you wish to give bullet journaling a attempt on your writing, right here’s what you’ll want:
- An unused journal
- One thing to write down with
Yep. That’s it.
Selecting Your Bullet Journal
In your journal, I extremely advocate a dot matrix journal.
You could possibly additionally use a grid. Or if in case you have a lined journal mendacity round already you could possibly attempt that first to see if bullet journaling even appeals to you.
You may get the official bullet journal. Or you should use anybody you’d like. I obtained mine by way of AC Moore, an arts and crafts retailer that is now closed. Once I discovered they have been closing and I would not have the ability to get my favourite journals (they have been unique to that retailer), I stocked up so I would be set for not less than a few years.
This is one other cheap possibility on Amazon — a easy black dot matrix bullet journal with a number of ribbons and a pocket. When my husband determined to provide bullet journaling a attempt to observe exercises and pre-move chores round the home, that is the one he went with. It is about half as thick at mine are, but it surely’s an excellent dimension when you solely want just a few monitoring pages per 30 days or simply wish to begin with one thing lighter.
Selecting Your Pens
You’ll be able to have enjoyable with these. I picked up a set of 52 gel pens so as to add shade to my essential BuJo initially. Regular ones, metallic ones. Glitter ones. They obtained a bit messy although, so I switched to coloured Pilot G2 gel pens.
You could possibly merely use your favourite pen. Or an inexpensive ballpoint pen. Or a mixture of pens. No matter you need.
As on your fundamental pens although, I’ve two suggestions
The Faber-Castell pens are nice if you wish to do some black ink doodling otherwise you merely need extra management for fancy lettering. You may get a wide range of pen kinds from additional positive tricks to brush heads. The ink is everlasting, holds up effectively, and does not bleed by way of pages. I like these and all the time have all kinds on-hand for my watercolor-ink initiatives, however I not use them for bullet journals as I felt like I went by way of the ink a lot too quick. These are additionally out there in a wide range of shade units if you wish to take a extra inventive method to issues.
Nowadays I take advantage of a black ink EnerGel pen for all bullet journal setups, then the G2 coloured gel pens wherever I need shade.
My choice is the silver barrel model linked above, however additionally they have lighter plastic ones and completely different colours when you favor. This goes with me nearly in every single place, and I all the time have refills round plus a backup plastic model for after I misplace my essential pen.
The EnerGels write super-smoothly, and once more I’ve not had any points with ink bleeding by way of. These take barely longer to attempt than the Faber-Castells, so that you do wish to watch out about smudging. These additionally include completely different ink colours, although I have not tried swapping the G2s for them but as I am pleased with my present shade choice.
Get as inventive as you need right here. You should use conventional ballpoint pens right here, gel pens, watercolors, coloured pencils, brush pens, markers — something that will not bleed by way of the pages of your bullet journal.
Fundamental Bullet Journal Setup
Upon getting your bullet journal and one thing to write down with, setting issues up is straightforward (although admittedly, it may be time consuming when you get inventive and wish to observe quite a bit).
Begin by creating your index web page on the entrance of the journal. This is what a fundamental index may seem like:
I’d counsel making this two columns so every web page lasts longer. I’d additionally counsel leaving 1-2 further pages clean to proceed your index. If you need your index multi function place, depart sufficient strains to match the variety of pages in your journal.
If not, that’s OK. You’ll simply proceed your index mid-journal and be aware that web page quantity in your essential index so you realize the place to seek out it later.
You then simply create no matter pages you’d like. As soon as it sinks in that you are able to do something you need together with your bullet journal, it is fairly liberating.
Bullet Journal Web page Concepts for Writers
For those who aren’t certain what to trace in your bullet journal, listed here are lists of common bullet journal spreads and bullet journal web page concepts for writers of various sorts.
Normal Bullet Journal Web page Concepts
Let’s begin with the fundamentals. These are simply common lists, plans, and life trackers. In case your bullet journal is solely for writing, you will not want all of those. However maintaining your life organized and enhancing your well being can also be good on your writing.
- Future planning (a calendar masking not less than 1 / 4 and as much as a yr; for necessary dates you will wish to reference later)
- Birthdays & holidays
- A yr in overview of the earlier yr
- Yearly objectives
- Your superb day (what would an excellent schedule seem like for you?)
- Each day affirmations
- Excessive-energy duties (issues to do once you’re feeling bold, productive, and / or filled with power)
- Low-energy duties (issues you are able to do rapidly and simply to perform one thing even on days once you’re unwell otherwise you simply don’t give a rattling)
- Mind dump
- An “must do” record (issues you do not wish to do however know it’s best to, like cleansing up your e-mail subscriptions)
- Boredom-beaters (I don’t deal with boredom effectively, so after I get angsty due to it I can pull one thing off this record as a substitute of questioning what to do with myself)
- Your bucket record
- Your TBR record (or not less than what you wish to deal with first)
- A gratitude record
- A temper tracker
- Self-care concepts
- Well being trackers (exercises, meal plans, symptom trackers, and so on.)
- An un-do record (issues to cease doing — like checking social media as quickly as you begin your day)
- Month-to-month logs, schedules, objectives, and process lists
- Weekly logs, schedules, objectives, and process lists (I personally discover weekly logs too time-consuming for the rewards I get out of them, so I deal with month-to-month, then use Todoist to handle the day by day and weekly schedules.)
Instance Month-to-month Log and Behavior Tracker Bullet Journal Unfold
This is a easy bullet journal unfold you should use as a month-to-month log and behavior tracker.
I take advantage of this combo at first of each month. For the log facet on the left, typically mine seem like this. And typically I set it up like a fundamental T-chart and quantity the times on the left facet as a substitute.
Within the log, I additionally typically have all three sections on the underside of this instance. And at different instances I simply observe objectives and duties.
For the behavior tracker on the fitting, you merely have a look at it in a horizontal view, and write the habits you wish to observe within the left column (1000 phrases per day, day by day advertising and marketing, and even private habits). Then on days you full every “behavior” you are making an attempt to construct, you shade within the field for the corresponding day, or mark them in any approach you please.
Instance Quarterly Planner / Quarterly Evaluate Bullet Journal Spreads
Beneath is a fundamental quarterly overview and quarterly planner unfold for bullet journals. I’ve mixed the 2 right here, however I really arrange two of those in a two-page unfold. On the left-hand web page I’ve my quarterly overview with bullet level notes from the earlier quarter. On the right-hand web page I’ve the quarterly planner with checkbox lists.
My quarterly planners are damaged into 4 sections — the three areas of my enterprise, plus a private part. You could possibly set it up with half the web page for enterprise and half for private, or you may break it up into nevertheless many sections you want.
Instance Bullet Journal 90-Day Problem Tracker
I am an enormous fan of 90-day planning. Typically that is quarterly planning. However I additionally love operating 90-day challenges. Doing this in my bullet journal, I began out utilizing spreads like these from SublimeReflection.com.
For those who solely have just a few 90-day objectives to trace, that is a terrific setup. However I observe quite a bit in a single place between private and enterprise objectives. So I take advantage of a shorter-form methodology to trace all my 90-day challenges in a single place. It seems one thing like the instance beneath.
I put just a few hypothetical writing-related challenges right here to indicate you the way you may use this. It makes use of the super-simple “fill within the field” type of monitoring I’ve settled into to take care of steadiness between motivation and pace. Your bins can symbolize something. They are often any dimension you want. And you’ll add a number of rows of bins if vital.
On this instance, the primary problem makes use of one field to symbolize a weblog publish. The second problem has one field equal 1000 phrases. And the third problem makes use of bigger blocks to symbolize completely different mission phases. It is an adaptable system.
Bullet Web page Spreads for Writers
As soon as you have settled in your common pages, you will wish to contemplate writing-related pages that can assist you plan, manage, and observe your work. First you will discover some bullet journal web page concepts that may apply to any kind of author. Then I am going to share some bullet journal unfold concepts for freelance writers, bloggers, and authors specifically.
Normal Bullet Journal Spreads for Writers
These BuJo pages might assist with any sort of writing work:
- Submission trackers (articles, visitor posts, books, poetry, quick fiction, and so on.)
- Revision reminders (the issues you most frequently discover in your individual work)
- Enhancing checklists
- Type guideline notes
- Grasp mission trackers / publish trackers / phrase depend trackers
- A WIP record
- A writing behavior tracker / writing time tracker
- Yearly or month-to-month earnings objectives
- Yearly or month-to-month expense monitoring
- Pitch lists
- Writing dash schedules or trackers
- Analysis notes, schedules, or supply lists
- Writing inspiration / motivational quotes
- Vital contacts (purchasers, brokers, publishers, and so on.)
- Advertising and marketing checklists (corresponding to after you publish every weblog publish or new e book)
- Advertising and marketing marketing campaign plans, schedules, and trackers
Instance Writing Trackers for Bullet Journals
This can be a web page I created as a reference for a fellow author beforehand. It is not meant to be a selected unfold on it is personal. Moderately it reveals a number of smaller varieties of monitoring you may use as a author.
For instance, the higher left writing tracker is a straightforward field tracker the place each field equals 1000 phrases in a manuscript draft. You fill within the bins as you attain every thousand phrases towards your aim. Subsequent to that within the higher proper you see an identical tracker for bloggers. However on this one, you might need one field equal one weblog publish. You may additionally see some bar chart writing tracker choices.
Beneath these, you will see one other multi-colored instance, this time every field representing sooner or later of the month (or 30 days for a 30 day problem). You’ll be able to then see the colour key to the fitting, the place completely different colours symbolize completely different phrase depend ranges. This allows you to visualize the place your most and least productive writing days have been throughout the month.
Lastly, on the underside half of this web page you will discover a type of grasp writing tracker for a month. Every shade represents a sure kind of progress — writing one poem, writing 1000 phrases on a selected manuscript, and so on. Every time you attain a kind of objectives, you shade in a block on the grasp chart with the corresponding shade. This one’s a minor type of gamification, the place you may goal to fill all of the bins throughout a month, then maybe set a reward when you do. You’ll be able to add as many bins as you need right here.
Instance Grasp Writing Tracker for Bullet Journals
This instance bullet journal unfold is loosely based mostly on one among my very own. Mine is a two-page unfold as a result of I observe loads of issues there, however one web page is perhaps positive in your case.
This can be a type of grasp tracker for writing initiatives. Once more, it focuses on my quite simple “fill within the field” type of monitoring. This one contains a number of manuscripts in varied states (some being drafted, some being revised, some going by way of later edits). However I additionally added box-style trackers for different writing sorts to indicate you the way you may use it.
Once I used these on a month-to-month foundation to see what initiatives I frolicked on every month, I tracked manuscripts a lot as you see right here. Then I tracked poetry, track lyrics, essays, and varied freelance mission sorts in record kind. However the setup-payoff steadiness wasn’t there, so now I preserve one longer, absolutely box-based tracker for the longer-term.
For drafts, I take advantage of every field to symbolize 1000 phrases. For revisions and edits, every field represents a chapter. Then for shorter-form items like poems, lyrics, flash fiction, or weblog posts, every field equals one full mission. You’ll be able to set them up in any approach that works for you, and even use bar trackers for bigger initiatives if it is advisable match extra in your grasp mission tracker.
Bullet Journal Pages for Freelance Writers
These bullet journal spreads will help you handle your freelance writing profession:
- Deadline tracker
- Prospect record / “dream purchasers”
- Record of potential interview sources
- Outlines / guides for frequent mission sorts
- Outlines / plans for particular person consumer initiatives
- Shopper contacts
- A SWOT evaluation
- Earnings objectives and trackers (month-to-month, yearly, or each)
Bullet Journal Pages for Bloggers
This record of BuJo pages will help you handle any blogs you may run:
- Weblog publish thought record
- Collection thought record
- Editorial calendars
- Weblog improvement / redesign checklists
- Weblog content material audit checklists or notes
- Monetization concepts / earnings sources on your blogs
- Earnings trackers for particular weblog earnings streams
- Affiliate advert monitoring
- Affiliate packages you are contemplating or utilizing
- Weblog publish promotion guidelines
- Site visitors stats trackers
- Social media statistics
- Visitor publish pitch record
- Associate lists when you run joint promotions
- Plans for particular person blogs
- Weblog launch advertising and marketing plans
- Accomplishment / byline tracker
Instance Month-to-month Weblog Publish Tracker or Editorial Planner
This bullet journal web page can be utilized in two methods. First, you should use it at first of the month to map out every publish you intend to publish. Or you may add posts as they’re accomplished to trace your progress.
I take advantage of it extra as a planner. I take advantage of a single planner web page for every weblog being tracked, however I do not observe all energetic blogs on this approach – extra for issues like All Freelance Writing and Freelance Writing Execs.
Apologies for the sloppy strains on this one and some others I am sharing right here. A few of these examples have been quickie templates I put collectively for a fellow author’s reference a pair years in the past.
Instance Yearly Running a blog Tracker or Schedule
Subsequent is a running a blog tracker unfold. This is not my design. I fell in love with this after seeing it at AwayWithKatie.com. View the unique publish to see the unique tracker and different weblog BuJo spreads.
Once more, this unfold can be utilized to both plan your running a blog schedule up entrance, or you should use it to trace your running a blog as you publish posts. I take advantage of it for long-term scheduling.
This has been particularly useful as I start to re-launch a number of blogs after my lengthy running a blog break just lately. In January I introduced again three blogs for weekly updates (and extra after I can squeeze them in). In February, three extra have been added to the schedule. And yet one more will re-launch within the second quarter in April. Smaller ones might be added later after I get these on an everyday replace schedule and type out how a lot time I can dedicate to these smaller blogs. So this planner will develop over the yr. I additionally embrace my common weblog admin schedule in right here so I keep in mind to account for that when planning posts.
Every weblog, and admin work, is assigned a special shade. I place a dot on any day when these gadgets are scheduled.
It is not excellent, particularly as we’re promoting our home now and continuously must prep and depart for showings which is impacting my work schedule. However it helps me ensure that every weblog will get not less than one publish per week. If I get to the next Monday and have not posted one thing but, I cross out the dot so I can see the place my schedule went mistaken.
You may decide to go away it clean and add your dots after you publish posts if you wish to use it as extra of a tracker than a planner.
Bullet Journal Spreads for Authors
Many freelance writers are additionally authors, both publishing nonfiction books associated to their specialty or pursuing extra inventive initiatives. For those who’re a kind of writers, these bullet journal web page concepts for authors is perhaps value including to your BuJo.
- Manuscript trackers
- Lists of brokers or publishers to pitch
- E book launch advertising and marketing checklists
- Revision and enhancing checklists
- Grammar guidelines and reminders
- Lists of analysis questions for a mission
- Undertaking outlines or notes
- References (the snowflake methodology, three-act construction, and so on.)
- Creator web site improvement checklists
- Character identify concepts
- Setting concepts or inspiration
- An inventory of e book or story concepts
- Brief fiction or poetry markets
- Phrase depend trackers
- Character bios / summaries for particular person initiatives
- Setting descriptions for particular person initiatives
- Dialogue concepts / overheard dialogue that evokes you
- Scene summaries for a narrative
- Story title concepts
- “Homicide boards” for homicide mysteries
- E book / story gross sales trackers
- Writing schedules (like a NaNoWriMo goal phrase depend calendar)
- A group of writing prompts
Instance NaNoWriMo Phrase Depend Tracker
Any time I take part in NaNoWriMo, I arrange a calendar-based phrase depend tracker in my bullet journal. That is one other sloppy-lined instance that I made for somebody some time again, however you mainly arrange a calendar, add your goal phrase depend for every day, after which add your precise phrase depend reached every day.
Personally, after I attain or exceed my goal phrase depend for a day, I write the precise phrase depend in inexperienced ink. Once I miss that aim, I write the phrase depend in purple ink. This offers me a fast view of after I wrestle to satisfy these objectives and after I’m best. Typically there are developments to be discovered that may assist with future planning. However it additionally lets you realize once you may have to make up for some latest tough days.
30-Day Phrase Depend Tracker
That is just like the NaNoWriMo tracker, besides it isn’t calendar-bound. This can be a template I take advantage of for a lot of varieties of 30-day challenges, together with phrase depend objectives. It means that you can begin any day you need.
You do not have to incorporate all this stuff in your bullet journal. You could possibly select only a few key spreads. Or you can also make it as complicated as you need. You do you.
That’s the important thing with journaling generally. They’re for you, and solely you. Your bullet journal is a spot so that you can say the stuff you’d by no means say in actual life. They’re the place you may vent. They’re the place you may preserve your most off-the-wall concepts and deepest ideas. And so they’re the place you may observe essentially the most mundane of issues.
And as a author, they may even be simply what it is advisable keep organized, lower stress that may negatively influence your enterprise, and discover the fears and challenges that at present maintain you again.
That can assist you arrange your first bullet journal, or to provide you some new concepts, here is a free printable with a number of the most necessary bullet journal spreads for freelance writers and bloggers.
What are your favourite bullet journal spreads for writers? Inform us about them within the feedback. Or if you would like me to create extra examples based mostly on the concepts right here, let me know what you’d prefer to see, and I am going to do my greatest so as to add extra bullet journal web page templates right here that can assist you construct your individual.
Supply : allfreelancewriting.com